In meetings, it’s important to be respectful of others. Sometimes you may need to interrupt someone. Sometimes you may be interrupted by others.
What do you say to interrupt someone?
What do you say if someone interrupts you?
In this Facebook Live replay video, Amnah shares 40 different phrases to use in meetings and discussions!
Here are the phrases shared in the session:
Phrases for Interruption
- Before you continue,…
- Can I interrupt you (for a minute/moment/second)?
- Can I just say something?
- I hate to interrupt (you), but …
- I have something to say (on this point).
- I know it’s rude to interrupt, but …
Phrases for Ending Your Interruption
- Sorry, please carry on.
- Please go on.
- Sorry, you were going to say?
- You were saying?
- Sorry. What were you saying?
Phrases for Refusing Interruption
- (I have) just one more point (to make).
- (I’m) nearly finished.
- (Just) one more thing (before you interrupt).
- Before you interrupt, let me say that …
- Can I just finish (my point / what I was saying)?
Phrases for Continuing What You Were Going to Say
- As I was saying (before I was interrupted), …
- Can we get back to the point of this meeting/discussion/conversation?
- Carry one from where we left off, …
- Getting back to the point, …
- Where was I/we? Oh yes, …
Phrases for Signalling the End of Your Turn
- (I think) you get the idea.
- And so on.
- Et cetera, et cetera.
- I think I’ve made my point.
- That’s all I wanted to say.
Phrases for Offering Other People the Chance to Speak
- Do you have any opinions on/about …?
- I’d be interested to hear your views on …
- What do you think (about …)?
- I’m sure you may have another point of view.
- Does anyone want to say anything before we move on?
Phrases for Keeping Other People Speaking
- (I’m) sorry to hear that.
- Glad to hear it!
- I know what you mean.
- I see.
- I understand.
Phrases for Turning Down the Chance to Speak
- I don’t have any view on this.
- I don’t have anything to add to that.
- I think you’ve covered everything.
- I’ll get back to you on that (another time).
- I’m still thinking about what I want to say.
We hope you found this helpful!